Tuesday, September 01, 2009

San Francisco Botanical Garden

Today I was determined to figure out the seemingly impossible San Francisco public transportation system, or "Muni" as they like to call it. Also known as the SFMTA or DPT. Or is it the BART? No, that's the train. So, yes, it's the Muni. Once I figured out the name of the system (sort of), I needed to buy my ticket. Let's see, did I want a Pass? A Passport? Maybe a CityPass? A Disabled Monthly Sticker attached to RTC Discount Card? Well, I'm not disabled, so I ruled out that one immediately. Maybe I wanted a "Pass," so I clicked on the link; at which point I was informed that there are five options for Passes, and the Passes are actually Monthly Passes. Since I'm only here for a few more days that wasn't useful. I moved on to "Passports" - at which point I was given the option of 1, 3, or 7 day versions good for unlimited rides. Sounded good, but I didn't really need unlimited rides, I just wanted to go to the Botanical Garden. At eleven bucks for one day, I decided I didn't want to spend that much and risk not using it.

Finally, I found the "Basic Fares" section where I was informed of the two dollar fee plus the 90 minute transfer. What the hell is a transfer? I finally figured that out, but then I needed to get the ticket. No problem, I had a credit card and a few twenty dollar bills in my bag.

I headed off to the station.

I found the station - first major accomplishment of the day (second, if you count the ridiculous amount of research I had to wade through to figure out where the station was and how to get a ticket).

I descend the staircase to the Muni system below.

At this point I read a sign that said something about getting change from the BART ticket machines. What? I needed exact change? By "change" I mean literally "change." Not dollar bills in the exact quantity. Change. I'm in arguably one of the most modern cities in our country and "Oh no, I can't pay for my ticket with a twenty or a credit card. I need exact change!" Seriously?

I got my change from the machine and dropped my quarters in the turn style. A ticket popped out, which I almost forgot to take, and I was on my way (thank you nice lady at the ticket booth for patiently explaining everything to me and for making sure I didn't forget my ticket.).

Miraculously, I made it to the San Francisco Botanical Garden (see map below) thanks to some intense research and the kindness of strangers - including a nice man who told me when to get off the metro since nothing was labeled once we got above ground.




The SFBG was lovely. It was divided into different theme gardens and provided me with a peaceful walk along many pathways. During my visit I walked past a forest of bamboo, through a cactus garden (one of my favorite sections) and across a bridge covering a pond (just to name a few).









After I had toured quite a bit of the gardens, I came upon a little old lady, bags of groceries in tow. She said, "where are you going?" to which I answered, "I'm not sure." She responded "Why don't you come with me, and I'll take you to the Redwoods." She was walking rather hurriedly, and I wasn't sure if she was extroverted or crazy, but I figured I didn't have much to lose, so I followed her. She turned out to be the best companion, explaining that she lived across the street from the botanical garden, and when she went grocery shopping she walked through the gardens on her way home ("lucky me." she said). The Redwoods were her favorite section and she was happy to tell me all about them on our walk. Once we got there, she left me on a bench in the middle of the dense forest and continued on her way. Just delightful.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...